Tuesday, 19 February 2008

A big, fat birthday negative

Reader, I peed. I answered my "to pee, or not to pee" question in the affirmative. I got up for work this morning, went into the bathroom and, with the calculated cunning of a serial killer, turned on the shower so hubby wouldn't hear the cellophane rustling. (Pound signs spin behind his eyes in the manner of a fruit machine whenever I "waste" a test.)

It was negative. Of course it was. I didn't actually get upset - I knew it would be, and when it was, there was just a feeling of "ok - that's done". Didn't cry at all.

Instead, I gathered myself together, went to work and had a good day - really nice lunch, plenty of chocolate - and I was doing fine until Counting Crows' 'The Long December' came on my iPod on the way home. At the line "maybe this year will be better than the last" I surprised and embarrassed myself by finding that my eyes were suddenly swimming.

Perhaps I'm pre-menstrual. I mean to ease the pain by imbibing much red wine, and perhaps a cheeky gin and tonic, later tonight. Guilt-free alcohol consumption is a small consolation for the blank pregnancy test currently lying in the bathroom bin, but whatever gets you through the night...

5 comments:

Io said...

Oh, I'm sorry for the birthday negative. Kinda like a punch in the ovaries. Have a gin and tonic and eat some more chocolate :(

The Town Criers said...

I'm sorry, BB. Not the best birthday. Hope the chocolate was good.

Duchess said...

Not the gift I had hoped you would get but I am glad to hear of the chocolate and gin.

That song gets me every time.

Barrenblog said...

Thanks everyone. I had two gins, two glasses of wine and a Cointreau in the end - plus a big, fat curry!

mutterings and meanderings said...

Gin - and Cointeau - can't go wrong!